Podcast: Play in new window | Download
We cover the first chunk of Neil Gaiman’s 1989 comic and its new Netflix adaptation. Mark is joined by acting coach Anthony LeBlanc, Sarahlyn Bruck, and Al Baker.
What are the narrative challenges of depicting a god? What is the show’s metaphysics the role of storytelling in it? Were the updates and story choices for the TV show helpful, or was the comic truly “unfilmable,” as was long thought? How on earth did an audiobook performance of a graphic novel come out great? We touch on Lucifer, Constantine, other DC TV shows, DC-Vertigo’s “adult” graphic novels, and more.
Some articles we reviewed included:
- “The Sandman: 8 Things The Netflix Adaptation Does Right” by Evan Regan
- “Netflix’s The Sandman Has One Perfect Hour” by Emma Stefansky
- “The Sandman: Why Did An Adaptation Take So Long?” by Joshua McCoy
- “Jack Kirby Introduced DC to the Sandman Long Before Neil Gaiman” by Spencer Connolly
- “Sandman: Netflix’s ‘Johanna’ Constantine Confusion & Backlash Explained” by Matt Morrison
- “Neil Gaiman Killed An Awful Sandman Movie By Leaking The Script” by William Kohler
Follow us @anthonyleblanc, @sarahlynbruck, @ixisnox, and @MarkLinsenmayer.
Get bonus talking for this and nearly every episode at patreon.com/prettymuchpop, or you can sign up directly via Apple Podcasts for a subscription for ad-free and bonus material for three of Mark’s podcasts together on the Mark Lintertainment Podcasts Channel.
This podcast is part of the Partially Examined Life podcast network and is curated by openculture.com.
Sponsor: Check out the Geek Freaks podcast network for 11 fun pop culture podcasts.
Leave a Reply